Lua – Mobile Messaging for Healthcare
Lua’s secure communication platform was developed to allow healthcare organizations to use the most convenient, easy, and quickest method of communication – text messages – while applying safeguards to ensure all communications remain 100% private and confidential and are fully compliant with the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules.
Text messages are the easiest way of quickly communicating information. Healthcare professionals can send patient information to other members of the care team to obtain a diagnosis, receive advice, or escalate a health issue. The speed of communication ensures patients can be provided with the best level of care.
However, mobile devices and standard messaging platforms lack the privacy and security controls necessary for HIPAA compliance. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requires protected health information (PHI) to be safeguarded at all times, and nether the SMS network nor standard messaging platforms are sufficiently secure and therefore cannot be used for communicating PHI.
Lua’s award-winning secure communications platform provides the benefits of text and instant messaging services and adds the necessary safeguards to ensure HIPAA requirements are satisfied.
The Lua communications solution includes a secure text messaging platform that allows health information to be communicated instantly with 100% message accountability. The platform supports group voice and video calling with one-touch escalation from text message to video call and allows files and images to be shared securely with other members of the care team or externally with patients and other third parties.
The solution includes a powerful analytics package to give healthcare organizations insight into how different teams are communicating with each other and different departments. These insights into communication flow allow healthcare organizations to make data-driven decisions to further optimize communication workflow.
Through an admin control panel, administrators can set company policies and manage their deployment, including expiring messages and remotely wiping devices in the event of loss or theft.
The platform uses TLS 256-bit AES encryption for all data at rest and in transit, on both the device used to access the platform and the server, along with a range of safeguards that exceed the minimum standards demanded by HIPAA.
In 2018, the Lua secure communications platform was rated as the leading post-acute secure messaging solution in healthcare by KLAS. The platform has now been adopted by dozens of U.S. healthcare organizations including Kaiser Permanente, Entera Healthcare, Thrive NYC, Prism Health, Pentec Health, and Harvard Medical School.
- Internal and external messaging to colleagues, patients, and their families
- Care coordination in real-time through text, voice, and video calls
- Rapid and secure file, video, and image sharing from the device and services such as Box and Sharefile
- Total message accountability – See when messages have been delivered and read
- Integrates with EHR and EMR systems
- Deep Search feature allows rapid retrieval of conversations, groups, and files
- Message time-spans can be set to automatically expire messages
- Supports VOIP phone calls
- One-touch escalation from text to individual and group calls
- Easy management of HIPAA and hospital policies
- Channels allow the creation of large, custom conversations across an organization
- Supports external conversations with individuals who do not have Lua
- Comprehensive analytics provide insights into communication habits
- Audit reports on demand for monitoring communications and compliance
- Do not disturb feature
- Dedicated customer support
- Exceeds highest standards for data security
- Improves the patient experience by providing patients with easy access to their care team
The Lua platform has been developed with security at the core of the design to ensure the system remains secure and conversations can take place in total confidence. Lua adheres to the highest industry standards to ensure all patient data remains private and confidential.
Key Security Features
- 256-bit AES encryption protects data at rest and in transit
- Application servers are logically separated from customer data
- Secure cloud storage for customer data on a private cloud instance
- Dedicated admin console gives IT department flexibility to control access, add or remove users, and apply policies
- Multiple, secure data centers used to mitigate the impact of natural disasters and maintain connectivity at all times
- Lua consistently audits, tests, and verifies its codebase
- Internal and external pen tests and vulnerability scans regularly conducted
- State of the art data centers have full-time onsite security personnel, 24/7/365 video surveillance, and strict access controls to prevent physical access to servers by unauthorized individuals
- Audit logs created for actions, data, and processes
- Integrates with 3rd party archiving services
- Lua holds numerous industry certifications and is compliant with industry regulations including FINRA and HIPAA
Lua helps healthcare organizations of all sizes communicate more effectively and efficiently, which saves money and improves the quality of care that can be provided to patients.
Healthcare providers, patients, and their families can communicate easily and share information. Caregivers can use the system to get answers to questions, share photographs to aid diagnosis, and receive test results irrespective of location. Lua supports the patient centric care model and enhances care coordination.
Caregivers often need to get in touch with patients and their families. The system makes contacting patients and notifying relevant family members quick and easy and helps to improve the continuum of care.
Through Lua, healthcare providers can maintain contact with remote care workers and securely send and receive patient information. Patient information can also be sent securely by remote workers directly to the EMR system. The speed at which information can be communicated ensures patients are provided with better and faster care without sacrificing security.
Caregivers are busy people and are always on the go, so it can be difficult to find the time to send updates on patients and respond to requests. Lua provides healthcare workers with the fastest way of sending and receiving information without sacrificing efficiency or the client experience.