Share this article on:
Lightspeed Systems has released an updated version of its education industry-focused web filter Longhorn. Version 3.21 of Web Filter Longhorn incorporates a number of enhancements to make monitoring and managing website and mobile traffic easier.
The new web filter has been made more powerful, incorporating enhanced SSL decryption and more intelligent user identification to ensure users can be easily identified regardless of where they are accessing the Internet.
The Adaptive AI database has also been improved for more accurate categorization of websites, reducing the potential for the overblocking of website content.
Other major updates include:
- Allowing users to prioritize identification methods and select the order that each method of identification will be attempted.
- The addition of a second level of control for restricting access to YouTube videos. If used, administrators can set the YouTube filter as strict or moderate.
- Version 3.2.1 now incorporates Bing Safe Search, in addition to Google Safe Search
- The certificate installation process has been simplified by changing the Proxy Certificate Help Link
- The Rocket platform will soon be updated and support has been incorporated into Web Filter 3: Longhorn
- Rule Set and General Web Filter pages have been improved to clarify settings
- Rules for IP address and ranges have been incorporated into Proxy SSL Decryption Exemptions
- Changes have been made to the Web Console, PAC file delivery, and Access pages to improve performance
- System performance has been enhanced by changing the method used to disable the internal mobile filter
- The Dynamic Reporting Engine has been updated to provide more powerful reporting capability, turning huge volumes of data into easy to read actionable dashboards
- Real time activity feeds have been enhanced, navigation controls have been improved, and more than 25 fixes have been made to correct known issues with the previous release.
When updating to the latest version, the update will enforce a password reset on the admin account as well as the admin password for the local appliance console on Rocket.